Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Komen Quandary

One of my favorite bloggers posted recently about the Komen quandary.

Bridget is a delightful young woman who was diagnosed with MBC at the age of 21.

She works with Komen, and her defense of the organization is very well thought out, I encourage you to read it.

http://www.mybiggirlpants.blogspot.com/

If I was in her shoes, I too would not want to quibble with the people who did so much for me.

BUT (sigh)

I just have to say something about the whole idea of politics and advocacy.

They are the same thing.

The American Cancer Society has a campaign called the "Power of the Purse." The whole idea is to lobby Washington for more funding. A totally reasonable thing to do if you are the ACS. But to say it is not political is silly. It may not be partisan, but it's political.

Komen too has an advocacy alliance. 

http://www.komenadvocacy.org/?itc=homeaction:2

There is nothing wrong with that, it's not sneaky, it is part of our system. We can't all go knock on doors on Capitol Hill. But to say that politics plays no role in these organizations is just plain silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment