Monday, April 23, 2012

Lucky Hubby?

I don't post a whole lot about my relationship with my husband, but we had kind of a fight about something sort of breast cancer related.

We were watching a story about a car that hit some people on a street in New York City.

Someone in the story said the victims were lucky to be alive. It rubbed me the wrong way.

Having dealt with cancer, and pain, I understand how even a minor injury can totally impact a person's quality of life.

I would never say that someone who got hit by a car while walking down the street was lucky.

I wonder if they will have scars, back pain, medical bills.

When people say I am lucky my cancer wasn't worse, it really frustrates me.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the positive aspects of my prognosis. I am happy I have good doctors. I am so glad to have insurance. Most of all I am amazingly fortunate to have my wonderful, supportive spouse.

A spouse who feels lucky I am still around. But I still struggle with the word.

I save lucky for the people walking around on the street who don't have cancer and didn't get hit by a car.

Anyhow, on a husband related note, this article really hits home.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2012/04/23/wifes-breast-cancer-can-hurt-husbands-health-too-study

2 comments:

  1. When very similar procedures can be applied in your own case, and with results, penalties that could be high priced beyond financial computation may be prevented.
    It is known that simply a scattering few problems of mankind might be presented in such limited space, under the types of disease mentioned here its designed that symptoms and treatment should be so discussed as to enable the reader to deal with other problems which could arise from the same options, and that may be amenable to very similar forms of treatment.


    Vårdköer
    Vaccinationer Barn
    Svullna Lymfkörtlar
    Vård

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get it. It really gets my ire up when people tell me how lucky I was to have the good cancer. Ridiculous. Breast cancer takes a mighty toll on us all.

    ReplyDelete