Saturday, March 6, 2010

Some like it pink

Editor's Note: Everybody emerges from cancer in a different way. Some women change careers, and some find a calling to start a business. Cathy McEvoy of Virginia discovered a passion for coloring the world pink, one party at a time. 
Suzanne
I was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer in May 2005. At the time, I was a successful executive in corporate America who didn’t realize that I was letting life pass me by. I used my diagnosis as a wake-up call and promptly resigned from my job to focus on educating myself and determining what the best treatment plan would be for me. As I underwent treatment, I also started a spiritual journey and began to look at things very differently than I ever have. I realized that I was overlooking many of the everyday things that I dismissed or missed completely. Oddly enough, these are the very things that give me most pleasure today. I don’t take anything for granted and I give gratitude each and every day for my blessings.
 
As part of my recovery and journey, I participated in my first large breast cancer walk in Washington DC. Supported by family and friends we became Team “3 to Go” and would make this an annual tradition changing our team name by counting down each year to that fifth and momentous year. I am proud to say that this year we will be Team “We Won” and we have been top fundraisers for two out of the last three years.
When we did the walk that first year, I planned a luncheon after to continue the spirit of celebration with our friends and family. To make the occasion even more special, I wanted to have pink ribbon themed party ware as part of our celebration. Imagine my surprise when I couldn’t find it anywhere in the world. It was this very moment that I felt a calling to do something unlike I have ever felt before. I knew I wanted to design a beautiful collection of pink ribbon themed party ware that helps women undergoing breast cancer treatment. Anyone who has undergone any major medical treatment knows the financial strain that comes with it, even for those with insurance. Being a part of the breast cancer club, I know firsthand how expensive medical care and treatment is even with insurance.
    
So, Celebrate In Pink was born! It has been a long journey with many challenges but I am proud to say that the collection is now available. It includes dinner and dessert plates, lunch and beverage napkins, note cards, invitations and a chic t-shirt. Balloons will be introduced later this year. The party ware can be used for any special occasion and is the only party ware that promotes socially responsible partying. Our customers come up with many uses for the unique party ware from bridal and baby showers to tailgating and little girl’s birthday parties.
Our passion and heart is with the many women undergoing breast cancer treatment, they are the real heroes. We donate a portion of our profit to support them and their families, we are their voice.

Five years ago I would have never guessed I would be doing what I am doing right now and I wouldn’t trade my journey for anything in the world. I truly believe everyone has the power to write their own story and so far I am thrilled with how mine is unfolding. We invite you to help ‘our heroes’ by browsing our unique collection of party ware and gifts at CelebrateInPink.com 


Kathy is a four year breast cancer survivor who wants to make a difference for women and families undergoing breast cancer treatment in need of financial assistance. She has taken over 25 years of corporate experience and launched Celebrate In Pink, LLC in June 2008. Kathy and her business partner, Deb Pfiffner, are dedicated to this cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment