Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Do you want to know your fortune?


  Every day when I leave radiation there is a fortune teller standing at the corner next to the cancer center, handing out her business cards.
  This being NYC, where "psychic advisers" are a dime a dozen,  it took me a few days to realize that she probably does a pretty good business with patients and their families, who ache to learn what the future holds.
  Today I told her, "I'm sorry but I just don't want to know."
  And it's true.
  There is a chance I could die from breast cancer, and a larger chance I will not.
  And if it's the former, I don't think I am ready for the news.
  I mean I guess I could cash in my 401K, and cruise around the world, or really get going on my bucket list. But for now, I try to live my life full out, planning for the future while savoring the present.
  How do you balance the prospects?
  Do you assume you will "beat the beast" or have you adjusted your goals?
  Feel free to leave your comments, or drop us a line, editor@joinourloop.com.
  Image courtesy elcivics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment