Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fatty diet study

Just a quick post on this. Since my diagnosis I  have actually enjoyed switching to less processed foods.
(Deb by the way is way ahead of me on this, but I will let her write about her own diet.)

One thing that is much tougher for me is cutting out fat. I'm a Wisconsin girl at heart, I love my cheese.
So the following report from Discovery is not exactly my favorite news.
I don't know for sure how you put a mouse on a high fat diet, but I have a pretty good idea.
Fatty Diet Makes Cancer Aggressive

2 comments:

  1. Don't get too worried too quickly. There have been many studies looking at the impact of dietary fat on breast cancer, and the data are suggestive but not altogether definitive. The largest study was the WINS Study (Womens Intervention Nutrition Study), and here is a summary of their initial results from 2005:

    After a median of five years of follow-up, breast cancer had come back in 9.8 percent of the women on the low-fat diet and 12.4 percent of those on the standard diet. This amounted to a 24 percent reduction in the risk of recurrence for the women on the low-fat diet.

    The largest risk reduction - 42 percent - was seen among women on the low-fat diet whose tumors did not respond to the presence of the hormone estrogen. Breast cancer that doesn’t respond to estrogen is called estrogen receptor negative (ER-negative) and usually has a poorer outlook than ER-positive disease. Postmenopausal women whose tumors do respond to estrogen are candidates for anti-estrogen drugs such as tamoxifen or letrozole, which help reduce the risk of relapse.

    There is clearly never a "one size fits all" approach for breast cancer. To read more about this particular study: http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/results/low-fat-diet0505

    ReplyDelete