Sunday, January 24, 2010

News from Visakhapatnam

I've never heard of Visakhapatnam, India. So obviously I never stopped to think about the women getting breast cancer there. However, working on Loop has made me curious about how the disease differs around the world. The 1 in 8 figure from the U.S.A. does not hold true everywhere.

Even more interesting, this article from The Hindu looks at statistics that suggest women in India have higher rates of Triple Negative and Her2+ breast cancer, compared to North America and Europe.

I know it's overwhelming to think about the need for treatment and testing all over the world, but it's there. I also wonder if some of these differences may actually prove useful for researchers, and help them towards a cure.

                                           Bollywood actress shows off her bc awareness

No comments:

Post a Comment