Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Brits claim breakthrough in Tamoxifen resistance

Lots of science news coming out this week. I thought this article from the BBC about tamoxifen would be of interest to many of you.

UK scientists say they have discovered why some women fail to respond to breast cancer treatment, and it is a gene error they believe they can fix.
Tamoxifen is given to most women diagnosed with breast cancer to prevent the cancer returning.
But not all women respond to the drug - experts estimate a third get no benefit.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this info. I'm on Tamoxifen. When I reached my 5th year last February, I thought my med onc would say I've had enough. Then he said the latest research was to stay on it for TEN years. I was looking forward to not taking it anymore, so this was a surprise. I'm happy to be alive, so no complaints here, I'll keep taking it. I will bring this article with me during my next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - as always, great information. I look forward to the day when they have this test available regarding Arimidex!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again, I posted it as a new article, even though it's a little science journal-ish for this site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen- I had not heard the ;astest research shows a higher benefit w/10 years. Do you have a link or source for that info?

    Thanks!

    I've been on Tamoxifen for exactly 2.5 months. 10 years seems like forever! :)

    ReplyDelete