Thursday, February 4, 2010

What should I call you?

In TV news writing, the rubber meets the road when you come to "second attribution."
Snow becomes "the white stuff," Santa becomes "the jolly old elf," President Obama becomes, "the Commander-in-Chief."

You get the idea.

So as I write this blog I wonder a lot about what our readers like to be called. Especially when a post requires 2 or 3 mentions.
"Patients" is clinical, but at times accurate. 
"survivors" is loved by some, hated by others.
I like "sisters" but the tone is tricky.
I fall back on "bc gals" but it is probably too informal.
"Women with breast cancer" is probably not accurate or empowering for early stage women who are now NED.

So I am curious, what do you like to be called? Are there any terms I have missed? Click on the comment form.
Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment