Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mammogram controversy spurs doctor-patient conversations

Interesting story in the New York Times about a doctor's dialogue with patients over mammograms. The reporter points to some best-case-scenarios, well reasoned conversations, and thoughtful compromises.

Which is all good.

But I still worry about other women who will just opt out of testing, or do not have physicians who have the time or expertise to sort through the confusion. On a personal note, I also keep hoping that the mammogram debate will actually encourage the use and development of other types of tests.

Suzanne


http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/health/16mamm-.html

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I totally agree with your personal note! It feels like I'm writing about that a lot these days. Thanks for all your great reporting about bc-related news and features. I look forward to following your posts from YSC. Have a great time!! Maybe I can work out going next year, and maybe they'll have it in Hawaii...

    ReplyDelete