Thursday, February 18, 2010

Researchers work to clear up confusion about lymphedema

One of the most bewildering parts of being a breast cancer patient is conflicting and confusing information about lymphedema. I can not think of any other medical situation where the advice and guidelines are so inconsistent, and that's before you throw in information from the internet.

I was very glad to read this report that researchers at the University of Missouri are leading the American Lymphedema Framework Project, to develop a standard of care.

Suzanne
image from beyondbasicsphysicaltherapy.com

2 comments:

  1. it's encouraging to read that these developments are in the works; so long overdue. I've suffered from lymphedema since my mastectomy. I recently spent four days in the hospital because of cellulitis, an infection in my arm that has lymphedema and is forever compromised.
    My arm will never be the same; it's just something I've learned to live with. I have numb and strange sensations in my arm, my shoulder, back, and under the arm. But I'm lucky to be alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had cellulitis in my breast before rads....it was scary!
    Thanks for all the comments....you are an angel. We need to figure out how to get more readers commenting!!!

    ReplyDelete