Friday, February 26, 2010

Pink Pajama Playtime

Well, one of the big differences between Deb and I is that she is an early bird and I am a night owl. So I am blogging in the bathroom while she sleeps.

Tonight was the YSC pajama party, basically a super size Pure Romance party. The company is esentially the Tupperware of marital aids.

Founder Patty Brisben is a heck of a pitch lady, the Mary Kay of the millennium.  One thing she said really caught my attention, "The things you did before are not going to work anymore, you have to try new things."

Of course she was speaking of sensuality after breast cancer, but in a way it sums up the whole experience. Every single lady in that room has had to deal with a whole heap of change.

I've been to parties like this before, they are fun in a way. I remember seeing a room of Minnesota grannies giggle over massage oil.

But when you put Patty's well practiced patter in the context of cancer it becomes almost radical. Behind all those pink pajamas is a lot of loss. So the message that romance and pleasure can be rediscovered is not a trivial one at all. Seeing women, some bald and breastless, gleefully grasping at a free a neon vibrator is a surprising and life affirming experience. A moment of rebirth.

As Patty said, you have to try new things.

Suzanne
Photo by Latina Starling

5 comments:

  1. Patti is great! Last year I had to go on stage and make a fool of myself. It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled the biggest smile when I received my first ever vibrator in the goodie bag from the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got this very nice note from Patty!

    Just wanted to take a moment to tell you how much I enjoyed your blog post. My Public Relations Manager forwarded it over to me and I really enjoyed it! The PJ Party is one of my favorite events to do every year so I'm glad to see you were also able to see the value in the event. Our Sensuality, Sexuality, Survival program is very near to my heart. We've had many Consultants pass from breast cancer; in fact, I lost one of my best Consultants and close friend this past week to this terrible disease, so anything we can do to support these amazingly inspirational women - I am always on board!

    Thank you for your time,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete